Banffshire Coat of Arms
The arms were granted in 1953, and the motto was added in 1971. The red lion is for the Ogilvy family, the crown it wears is for the Grants. Together they represent Lower Banffshire. The second quarter comes the arms of Kinloss Abbey and represents the Strathisla area. The Balvenie area is represented by the third quarter. The fourth quarter is for Glenlivet and shows the arms of Stewart of Strathavon. The boars heads and chevrons are from the Abercromby family arms.
The motto is 'SPE ET SPIRITU' or With Hope and Courage. The crown above the shield is the coronet granted to Scottish County Councils from 1951 on.
The IBD Home Page and each IBD County Page has or will have (where possible) the relevant Coat of Arms. This is made possible thanks to a fantastic heraldry website called the International Civic Heraldry Website. Sometimes a description is not given due to lack of information, so if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. You may visit this superb site by using the link below.